Friday, July 23, 2010

I thought this was women's health!

I arrived at my clinical rotation prepared to do women’s health. Imagine my surprise when finding myself discussing pediatric issues and testicular pain during a colposcopy visit. The patient came to her appt with her new baby and her husband. I am not quite sure how the topics came up, but I could not ignore questions about the baby’s growth/feeding or the husband’s complaint about ongoing severe testicular pain. It might be the first time that I recognized that the breadth of knowledge of the FNP is an asset and not a burden. I was able to answer questions and make appropriate recommendations for follow-up for all of the members of the family. Now if I can just figure out how to do all this in the 20 mins allotted.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the beauty of Family Medicine!!! This is exactly why I chose FNP...to see the whole family!!! Your experience is what I hope to have happen. I know it will take time, but you have to make the best of any "time" you have to answer the health concerns of a family because they might not come back to address it later on a separate visit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 minutes is truly the challenge....even 10 more minutes would help!

    ReplyDelete