Friday, July 23, 2010

The OB/Gyn floor at Dewitt community hospital at Ft. Belvoir was an eye opening experience for me as it was the first unit I have been on that had more advanced practice nurses than physicians. I was apprehensive at first as I already have one strike against me for being male (sorry, but I have had lots of interesting past experiences). However, I have never felt more like a team member amongst the OB/Gyn staff in both the clinic and on the L&D deck. While paired up with different preceptors I was encouraged to be a provider (under close supervision) and thus I performed: NST's, AFI's, well-woman visits (paps, bimanuals), placement of intrauterine pressure catheters, and performed an artificial rupture of membranes. All of this was in the first week and I still have one more to go. Hopefully the learning curve will continue to be steep and challenging. This is certainly the right environment to be sending us to.

2 comments:

  1. Team work in OB/GYN is essential! Women and pregnancy is a stressful yet exciting time for women, thier partners, family and PROVIDERS! It is imperative that providers collaborate with eachother on many occasions to ensure the most optimal outcome for mother and fetus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a positive experience at Ft Belvoir. I REALLY like sending my male students there specifically because they do feel like a part of the team, even though the system often markets that practice as a "woman to woman" setting. They're great. LTC Prior did his OB rotations there too. Same story.

    ReplyDelete