Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm in the Brig!

So...it never occurred to me that military women's health care also includes the inmate population! I know women commit crimes; it's not as if active duty women are exempt from bad behavior...but still, as an an active duty provider- am I really going to treat women in jail? Yes, particularly you Navy folk. The brig over at Miramar Marine Corps Air Corps Station is the military's only long term institution of confinement for active duty women prisoners. They can be held there for up to 10 years. If the sentence exceeds 10 years, then they are transferred to a federal prison. Most are there for murder as a result of IPV (Intimate Partner Violence). So, there I was on Friday morning...doing speculum exams...on a prisoner...in the brig. My preceptor shared with me that this experience is actually very similar to providing care for women in the deployed setting. A lot of abnormal menses [change in diet/exercise/stress; close proximity of many women living closely together (syncing of cycles)]; along with BV and candidiasis d/t changes in hygiene patterns and hygiene products. I had to do paper charting, we had to bring our own supplies- including speculums, and there is no microscopy. If it smells like BV, you treat for BV. If it looks red and inflamed w/itching to the vulva and inguinal intertriginous folds, you treat for candidiasis- you get the picture. As a military FNP, there is such a wide range of what care in austere environments means.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I want to be your battle buddy when we hit the field...you can show me field expediant pelvic exams...you could use spoons, according to the old Navy Captain!
    On a sincere note, I, too, until I read your post, failed to realize that we have such a facility in existance....for "women." Women do commit crimes, and bad ones...and they still need unique "women's" health care. Some how I think that we forget that the two can co-exist...
    Great preparation for mindset in the field...regarding the hygiene aspects and syncing...that has even happened here as many females found out in the field after a year of being in class together! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was under the impression that all of the services got to share in the fun with respect to care inmates.

    All of the Navy facilites I have worked in have had a Brig Officer as a collarteral duty. Generally, the corpsman would do brig sickcall every day and would report back to the brig officer (usually a GMO or FP provider)and the Brig Officer would determine whether or not the patient warranted an additional visit by the provider.

    When I was in Italy, we had a beneficiary (dependant wife) incarcerated in an Italian mental health institution for killing her child. Once per quarter our Brig officer traveled 3 hours each way via POV to the institution and provided any care that she needed beyond what the Italians had been providing. During her incarceration, she became pregnant by one of the other patient-inmates. The provider ended up doing OB care for this woman on site at the mental institution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned something today! I had no idea....Patty - I wonder who took care of that baby after she delivered...

    ReplyDelete